6355 Wayland Road, PO Box 9, Wayland, Ohio 44285 330-358-2419
The Lovely White Church On The Hill"
Bethany Baptist Church
Built 1889 - Destroyed by an arsonist December 20, 1899
Our roots were planted in 1835 when The First Particular, Close Communion, Welsh Baptist Church of Parisville, Ohio separated from the Palmyra Church. They built a small "edifice" at Paris Center. We believe the location was about 3 lots north of the intersection of Newton Falls Road and SR 225. The building was later moved to Wayland where services were conducted in Welsh. In 1889, on land donated by the George Family, a lovely building was erected and the name changed to Bethany Baptist Church. Tragically, December 20, 1899, the building was burned to the ground by an arsonist. On Christmas Day they held services among the ashes. The congregation rebuilt and held a dedication in May 1901. A few years later, the Welsh Congregational Church (located a few lots south of Bethany Baptist Church in Wayland) merged with Bethany Baptist Church and formed the Wayland Federated Church. In the 1950's the name changed and remains Wayland Community Church. That building, dedicated in 1901, "the little white church on the hill", stands today. We were blessed with the problem of outgrowing our building and, after 25 years of fund raising and generous offerings, we began construction in September 2016. We now are "the lovely white church on the hill" and not so "little" anymore. To God be the glory! Visit our site often as we add more photos and history.